Hurtling down sand dunes is probably not the first thing that comes to mind when thinking about things to do in Bolivia. Just one hour from the city of Santa Cruz
however, is a beautiful, yet rarely visited natural desert, ideal for thrill-seeking activities such as this.
Featuring 3000 hectares of soaring sand dunes, it’s no surprise that Lomas de Arena is becoming a popular destination in South America for sandboarding. Those with a need for speed can whiz down 12 meter sand dunes either standing up or sitting down – any style you choose, the fun is guaranteed!
The protected park also provides nature lovers great opportunities for birding and wildlife watching. The surrounding tropical forests and savannah are home to over 286 species of birds not to mention other fascinating species including sloths, marmosets, caimans, capybaras, monkeys, deer, armadillos, mountain lions, pumas and many, many more.
Bolivia’s answer to the Sahara, Lomas de Arena is an adrenaline filled-oasis where travelers can go to learn, discover and experience some of the country’s finest natural wonders.
- Soar down 12 meter sand dunes at high speeds
- Swim in spectacular lagoons where, if lucky, you’ll get to see capybaras (aka the world’s largest rodents)
- Trek through the forest looking out for some of Bolivia’s most fascinating creatures
- Learn about the unique flora native to the area
- During the wet season visit the spectacular coloured lakes
Bolivian Life Quick Tip:
As voted the best way to travel around Bolivia and Peru, we highly recommend choosing Bolivia Hop as your means of transport. Their safe, flexible and trustworthy service have proven to be the best way of getting the most out of your time in South America!
Experience Lomas De Arena
After being picked up from your hotel, you will commence the journey to Lomas de Arena, stopping briefly at the infamous Palmasola Prison to learn about its dark history before continuing on to the protected park.
Entering Loma de Arena, your guide will take you on a 4WD drive, scanning the forests for sloths, monkeys and other exotic creatures.
Not long after, you’ll arrive at the main sand dunes where you’ll commence your guided trek of the area visiting the lakes, learning about the park and exploring the surrounding forests looking for some of the areas unique wildlife.
After the trek is where the real adventure begins! Your guide will provide you with specially designed boards giving you tips on how to navigate the dunes safely. After a couple of practice attempts, you can try your hand at zipping down the dunes – either standing up or head first down on your stomach.
After a fun day of sandboarding and trekking you’ll say goodbye to Lomas de Arena and be taken back to your original pick up point.
Adrenaline-junkies, animal lovers, nature enthusiasts – basically anyone who loves fun in the great outdoors!
- Tour Duration: 4 hours
- Availability: Year round but dependent on weather conditions
- Meeting/Drop off point: Santa Cruz
- Tour Start Times: 8:30am or 3pm
Prices are per person based on group size:
| ||1 Person||2 People||3 People||4 People||5 People ||6-8 People
|Bolivianos||1044 Bs||522 Bs||382 Bs||313 Bs||278 Bs||243 Bs
Included In The Price
- Pick up/drop off from your accommodation
- 4WD transport to and from Lomas de Arena
- Bottled water
- Entry into the park
- High quality sandboards
- Professional English/Spanish speaking guide
Why Choose Nick’s Adventures Bolivia?
- Tours are professional, safe and very well organised
- Guides are friendly and incredibly knowledgeable about the surrounding area
- All equipment is high quality
- Nick and his team are very involved with wildlife conservation in Bolivia
- It’s a fantastic opportunity to get off the beaten path
Booking A Sandboarding And Wildlife Tour
To book a sandboarding and wildlife tour with Nick’s Adventures or to receive more information please fill out the following form: