The visa situation in Bolivia can be confusing at the best of times. So we are very grateful to Harry of Gringo in Bolivia, who has been through the process and has kindly shared his very detailed notes on the Bolivian 1 year temporary residency visa requirements and process with us, which are reproduced below. Harry has also written an informative and entertaining account of his own experience with the 1 year temp visa application process. Please note that visa requirements and processes change over time. The process detailed here may differ from that in place at the time of your application. Be sure to check the Migracion website for the latest official information. 


There are various certificates you need to acquire. Some must be done first in order to apply for others. The addresses provided below are for visa applications in La Paz.  

1. Antecedentes de FELCN (FELCN police background check)

  Apply at:
  • Immediaciones plaza Adela, Zamudio, Sopocachi. Mon-Fri: 9am-6pm
Bring with you:
  • Photocopy of your passport
  • Memorial (a cover letter) written by a lawyer to the Director for the FELCN asking for a “certificado de antecedentes”
They will ask you to come back after 72 hours with:
  • A receipt of a bank deposit to Banco Union of 25BS to the account CTA 14041070
  • One photograph size 4×4 with red background
  • A copy of the memorial which you initially provided
  • 2 photocopies of your passport
  • Your original passport
If you have everything ready they will do this on the spot for you. It should take less than an hour.  

2. Antecedentes de INTERPOL, (INTERPOL background check)

  Apply at:
  • Av Constenera, Seugencoma. Mon – Fri: 9pm – 5pm
    • (it’s in the big European style house with the pointy roof next to the football field, just before you reach Calocoto)
Bring with you:
  • Colour photocopy of your passport, including photo page, visa Objeto Determinado page and the entry stamp into Bolivia
  • Four passport photos, size 3×4, with a red background. 3 must be from the front and one of a half profile from the right (medio perfil derecho)
  • A photocopy of your certificado de antecendentes de FELCN
  • Photocopy of your rental or anticretito contract with your name on it.
  • Photocopy of the Cedula de Indentidad of the owner of the property
  • Documentation that proves he/she is the lawful owner of the house /apartment. Usually known as Folio Real.
  • Photocopy of the receipt of the latest electricity and gas payment in your name (or it can be in the name of the landlord if included in rent)
  • A yellow folder
  • A memorial to the Director Departmental de INTERPOL, specifying your full name, nationality, passport number, marital status, occupation, address in Bolivia, and the motive of your tramite (i.e. 1 year temporary residency). This memorial does not need to be written by a lawyer
  • Receipt of a payment of 50BS to Banco Union to the account of CTA NRO 1404 1070
You will have to return in 5 working days to collect the certificate.  

3. Registro Domicilario (residency registration)

  Apply at:
  • FELCC, Calle Sucre, between Junin and Bolivar.
Bring with you:
  • A Memorial to the Director of the FELCC asking for a residency registration and police background check
  • A photocopy of your passport, including Objeto determinado and latest entry stamp
  • A photocopy of your Certificado de antecedentes de INTERPOL
  • Photocopy of your rental or anticretito contract with your name on it.
  • Photocopy of the Cedula de Indentidad of the owner of the property
  • Photocopy of the Tarjeta de Propiedad, Folio Real, or the most recent payment of property tax. Usually get these from your landlord.
  • Photocopy of the receipt of the latest electricity and gas payment and telephone (only if applicable) in your name (or it can be in the name of the landlord if it is included in your rent)
  • A photocopy of a neighbors C.I and ask them to be witness at time of inspection. They should technically available during the inspection, although the FELCC will probably just ask for “taxi money” to overlook their absence.
  • A hand drawn map of the location of the residence. Include any nearby landmarks.
  • Receipt of a payment of 15BS to Banco Union to the account of 1404 1070
The FELCC will arrange to inspect your home and provide a certificate within 10-15 days.  

4. Antecedentes de FELCC (FELCC background check)

  Apply at:
  • Avenida Landeatta, half a block uphill from Plaza Estudiente
Bring with you:
  • A photocopy of your passport, including Objeto Determinado and the page with your latest entry stamp.
  • A photocopy of your certificado de antecedentes from INTERPOL
  • One passport photo, size 4×4 with a red background
  • A receipt for a payment of 25BS to Banco Union for the account number 1404 1070
The process only takes 15 minutes but expect to wait in line about 2 hours.  

5. INSO Health Check

  Apply at:
  • Calle Claudio Sanjines, Miraflores, opposite Hospital Torax, 8-10am
Bring the following:
  • A sample of your morning pee. You can buy containers from almost any pharmacy.
  • 197 BS cash.
  • A photocopy of your passport.
This can be done at any time as there are no prerequisites. You should fast after dinner the night before, so no food/drink etc. They will do a series of medical checks which takes about 3 hours. Once you have finished you will be told to come back in 3 days or so to collect your results.

Bolivian Life Quick Tip:

As voted the best way to travel around Bolivia and Peru, we highly recommend choosing Bolivia Hop as your means of transport. Their safe, flexible and trustworthy service have proven to be the best way of getting the most out of your time in South America!

Other Requirements:

  If you have the money, the easiest method by far is to demonstrate economic solvency.
  • A notarized letter stating that you have economic solvency and the type of activity (i.e. volunteering, working) you will perform. This letter can be done by any good Notaria for 50BS
  • A copy of your bank statement showing you have sufficient funds to live in Bolivia. You need a minimum of $300 per month to prove solvency, but more is recommended to live comfortably in Bolivia.
  • Documentation supporting the activity you will perform (ie a letter or certificate from your employer)
  • A memorial written by a lawyer requesting a 1 year temp residency. Any lawyer can do this for 50BS
  • 4 passport photos, size 4×4 with a red background.
  • Once your application has been accepted you need to pay 1350BS via Banco Union to begin the process.
If you do not have sufficient funds you will need to acquire a work contract approved by the ministry of Labour. This takes significant time and money.

What’s Next

After obtaining your temporary residency visa you are required to obtain a Cedula de Extranjeros (foreigner’s identity card). You have a limited time in which to make the application before a fine is applied. Thanks again to Harry for the information. Are you applying for a 1 year temporary residency visa? Have you already been through the application process? Let us know in the comments.