One of the most frustrating aspects of travel in South America has to be border crossings. No matter how prepared you may be or how confident you are at
arguing conversing in the local language, traveling between countries by bus is notoriously challenging, causing even the most tolerant of backpackers to lose their cool.
To help make traveling from Bolivia to Peru as smooth as possible, a new European owned bus company called Bolivia Hop are now providing safe and secure transfers between the two countries. While public buses are definitely an option, the popular hop-on / hop-off bus service provides a more flexible, comfortable and not to mention fun, way of getting you from A to B.
The Bolivia Hop Experience
From day-trips to week-long stays, Bolivia Hop enables travelers to explore destinations at their own time and pace. Unbridled by tight schedules and prepaid tours, travelers can be spontaneous with their travel plans, jumping on a Bolivia Hop bus when they’re good and ready. For those that like a plan, Bolivia Hop also provide a recommended amount of time at each destination, so you can follow their schedule too, if you wish. The other great thing about using Bolivia Hop is that, unlike public transport, you don’t have to worry about where to store your bags, how to get to your hostel, which tour company you should use or where the best places are to eat. The friendly Bolivia Hop staff have all this covered, dishing out helpful tips and recommendations along the way. Border Crossings The border crossing from Bolivia to Peru can be notoriously stressful, especially if you’re not fluent Spanish. There are forms to be filled out, fees to be paid, and dodgy police officers looking to make a quick buck. That’s why all of Bolivia Hop’s buses come with following:
- Local Peruvian and Bolivian guides assisting you with any issues – fluent in English and Spanish.
- All immigration forms supplied on board the bus and assistance filling them out.
- Only passengers who provide copies of their passport are allowed on board.
- Buses will wait at border until all passengers have safely passed. You won’t be left behind.
- Guides will ensure that you do not pay any unnecessary fees or fines (and will help you to avoid scams)
- Opportunity to change currency at the border
- Curl up under your complimentary duvet and watch a film…in English!
- Recline in your semi-cama seat and catch some shut eye
- Listen to your guide who will provide insider advice on the best places to eat and sleep at your next destination
- Need help with your accommodation booking? They can also do this!
- Enjoy complimentary mini excursions along the way (e.g. Floating Islands & Isla del Sol)
- If you like a particular city or town en route to your final destination, just hop off and let the guide know when you’re ready to hop back on again
- Get dropped off right outside your accommodation
- La Paz to Copacabana – 4.5 hours
- Copacabana to Border – 30 minutes
- Border to Puno – 2.5 hours
- Puno to Cusco – 8 hours (overnight trip)
Bolivia Hop’s Buses
Bolivia Hop operate a specific bus on either side of the Bolivia-Peru border: Buses on the Bolivian side of the border have:
- 37 semi-bed reclining seats (other companies try to cram 41 seats on these smaller Bolivian buses).
- Big duvet blankets… snuggle up on cold days to La Paz.
- LCD TVs on board to sit back and enjoy English speaking movies
- Highly qualified Bolivian driver who navigates the roads well and gets plenty of rest
- Purpose built for lake crossing between Copacabana and La Paz (don’t worry, passengers cross on a different boat… some companies put passengers on the bus as it floats across the Lake to save money… this is dangerous!)
- A company dedicated to safety, Bolivia hop uses only the best buses to get passengers from Bolivia to Peru in a safe and secure way. Along with safety, Bolivia Hop also pride themselves in having the most comfortable buses around
- 40 semi-bed reclining seats with sponge foam pads for added comfort
- Modern and clean toilet
- High tech temperature controlled air system to ensure it is never too hot or too cold
- 3 LCD TVs on board to sit back and enjoy English speaking movies on longer journeys
- Highest quality brake and suspension system to ensure a smooth seamless journey
- Blankets for every passenger – snuggle up and get some sleep on longer trips
- 2 drivers on all long journeys swapping shifts every 4 hours to avoid tiredness
- GPS monitoring system allowing us to track our buses every step of the way and monitor driver velocity
Bolivia Hop and their partner Peru Hop offer the following hop-on / hop-off routes from Bolivia to Peru: Remember you can stay wherever you want and how long you want, it all just depends on your personal budget and time constraints
La Paz – Cusco (via Copacabana) Departs from: La Paz daily at 7am Stops in: Copacabana Arrives in: Cusco at 6am Minimum Travel Time: 2 days / 1 night Destination Highlights: Lake Titicaca and Isla del Sol, Machu Picchu Price: $39 US
La Paz – Cusco Departs from: La Paz at 7am daily Stops in: Copacabana and Puno Arrives in: Cusco at 5.30pm on the day bus and 6am on the night bus Minimum Travel Time: 2 days / 1 night Destination Highlights: Lake Titicaca and Isla del Sol, Uros Floating Islands, Machu Picchu Price: $49 US
La Paz – Arequipa (via Lake Titicaca) Departs from: La Paz at 7am daily Stops in: Copacabana and Puno Arrives in: Arequipa at 6am Minimum Travel Time: 2 days Destination Highlights: Lake Titicaca and Isla del Sol, Uros Floating Islands, Colca Canyon Price: $49 US
La Paz – Cusco (via Arequipa) Departs from: La Paz at 7am daily Stops in: Copacabana, Puno and Arequipa Arrives in: Cusco at 5pm Minimum Travel Time: 4 days/3 nights Destination Highlights: Lake Titicaca and Isla del Sol, Uros Floating Islands, Colca Canyon, Machu Picchu Price: $79 US
La Paz – Lima (via Arequipa) Departs from: La Paz at 7am daily Stops in: Copacabana, Puno, Arequipa, Nazca, Huacachina and Paracas Arrives in: Lima at 11:45pm Minimum Travel Time: 8 days/ 7 nights (-2 days if you skip Puno, – 1 day if you skip Paracas) Destination Highlights: Lake Titicaca and Isla del Sol, Uros Floating Islands, Colca Canyon, Nazca Lines, Huacachina sandunes, Ballestas Islands Price: $169 US
La Paz – Lima (via Cusco) Departs from: La Paz at 7am daily Stops in: Copacabana, Puno, Cusco, Arequipa, Nazca, Huacachina and Paracas Arrives in: Lima at 11:45pm Minimum Travel Time: 12 days / 11 nights (including 4 nights in Cusco) Destination Highlights: Lake Titicaca and Isla del Sol, Uros Floating Islands, Colca Canyon, Machu Picchu, Nazca Lines, Huacachina sandunes, Ballestas Islands Price: $199 US
All Bolivia Hop bus passes include the following:
- Hop on/hop off bus transport
- Drop-off at your accommodation
- Comfortable buses with seat belts for every passenger
- Professional drivers
- Border crossing assistance
- Ferry crossing fee near Copacabana
- Bilingual staff who can assist passengers with any questions
- On-board movies in English and large duvet-style blankets
- Complimentary mini excursions (e.g. Floating Islands tour, Isla del Sol private boat transfer, Pisco Vineyard tour, Nazca Lines viewing tower, etc.)
- Food and beverages
The great thing about Bolivia Hop is that it’s open to people of all ages, genders and nationalities. From backpackers and senior travelers to family groups and solo travelers, Bolivia Hop offers up a number of different passes to suit a variety of travel styles and budgets. Before traveling to Peru, it’s important that passengers familiarize themselves with Peru’s entry requirements. Depending on your nationality, you may need to provide documents and/or obtain a visa before being allowed into the country. Fortunately, Bolivia Hop also provides assistance with this process prior to and during the trip.
Why Choose Bolivia Hop?
- Bolivia Hop offer a free hostel pick-up and drop-off service
- All buses come with an English speaking assistant who will help answer any questions and provide insider tips on what to do in the area
- Passengers travel in comfort – semi-bed seats, duvet style blankets, on board movies in English, toilet, advanced temperature air control and brake suspension systems
- Great value for money especially when you account for comfortable overnight travel (no need to book a hostel), free tours, local guide and border crossing assistance
- Bus trips are very well organised and focused on safety; drivers won’t risk passengers safety by driving excessively or recklessly
- Buses are equipped with seat belts for every passenger and a speedometer alert system
- Fun social atmosphere on rides
- Discounts on accommodation, food and tours at a number of destinations throughout Bolivia and Peru
- The company is European owned and locally operated – local adventure with European levels of safety and service.
- Available 24/7 via email, phone or in person should you need them in case of emergency